Tuesday, November 20, 2007

11/20/07

These leaves were so pretty yesterday as the sun was shining through them. I focused on the ones in the middle. Love the sky peeking through.

I am now officially on a short vacation. I am thankful for the time off. I'll miss my students but am glad to be away from the hustle of school for a bit.

I had to take Wesley to the doctor today to see about getting him evaluated for inattention. His teacher feels we need to explore this as he still has some trouble. She said he is better than he was at the beginning of the school but if he needs help she would rather do it now than wait. She also said it isn't really bad, but felt we needed to start somewhere so we know what we are working with. Honestly, I still feel a lot of this is maturity, but I also know my son and know he has always been a bit of a "dreamer." He has improved so much in the last two years but as a teacher I understand where she is coming from and will do my part.

I must admit, though... I am having those "guilt" feelings again - - kind of like I had two years ago when I found out they had to repeat Kindergarten. Only, this time I know I have done all I can and it is just how the Lord made Wesley. I try to never compare my children because I know God gave them different talents, but sometimes I see what Mikayla does and can't help but see Wesley doesn't always do it like she does. BUT.. Wesley is so much more detailed and when he does something fully he does it well. Mikayla likes to rush sometimes and doesn't always get the job done nicely. She doesn't do that at school as much now as I see at home. Her drawers where she folds her clothes are something else. lol I also see, though, how much he has grown and improved in a lot of areas and wonder if it just hasn't "clicked" with him yet. Lots of people have told me that some boys don't "click" until the third or fourth grade. The teacher in me totally understands but that "Mommy Factor" is a killer. You can't think straight with that thrown in the mix. lol

This is where I am continuing to learn that I have to keep giving things to the Lord. This is not something I can control and I have to release it. I also know I was a lot like Wesley when I was his age. I just want to make sure conclusions are not jumped into hurriedly if there is something we can do to teach him how to stay on task. I don't like quick fixes when it comes to things of this nature.

Mikayla Girl is spending the night with her friend and when I called to make sure everyone got picked up, since I had to take Wesley to the doctor, the mother said they were having a blast. I was so glad she was enjoying herself. Wesley is missing her, though. I miss her, too. Steve is outside now throwing the football with Wesley. I think they played some basketball, too. (Speaking of basketball: Sal... you would have laughed at me trying to shoot some hoops the other day. We are enjoying the basketball goal...)

I think we are going to do something fun with Wesley tonight but I am not sure what. Please pray with me regarding Wesley. My Mother's heart only wants what is best for my little guy. Go kiss and love on your children and see them as the precious gifts that God has given to us.

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Thinking about you, and giving a prayer for Wesley. He will be fine. He's a boy! Plus, he is yours & Steve's kid, so it will all be OK.

Anonymous said...

I have often heard my mother talk of the "boy thing". I understand your concern, however, as a mom, too! God is in control and his plan is perfect!

Glynis