Tuesday, April 24, 2012

04/24/12

I love new growth in plants.
 

I also love to see growth in my children.

This past weekend one of my precious ones wanted to go off with friends to the playground during Super Saturday.

You may think this is not a big deal, but it actually was.

We had visitors on campus.  The school is near public areas.  The school can sometimes have unwanted guests as any public area can have.

I told my precious one "NO."  There was no adult supervision and I was not allowing them back there.  My precious one said that one of the friend's Mom had said it was OK.

As much as I love that friend's Mom, I was not that Mom.

I stood firm and kept my "NO" as "NO."

I was not very well liked right after by my precious one.  There were eyes that rolled and words that were spoken of "not fair."

I couldn't worry about that for the moment.... all I knew is that I wanted danger to be avoided.

On the way home, my precious one and I had a talk.  I shared that I knew this precious one was angry with me and that words were said/eyes were rolled.

A sheepish "Heehee'' came from the back of the van.

I began to explain that my precious ones could have been taken by strangers, injuries could have occurred or other scenarios.  I also explained that without someone I trusted back there watching them I was not going to take anything to chance just because we were on school grounds.

I continued to explain to my precious one that when I say "NO" there is always a reason.  It isn't just to make life terribly hard, but to help make life better.  I could see a picture of what could possibly happen in my mind that my precious one could not see.

My precious one had to TRUST me.

My precious one began to realize WHY I had said "NO" and stood firm with it.

My precious one grew some that day.

Growth comes little by little.  Growth happens slowly, but when it is grown correctly and the roots are established then the plant is much healthier and stronger.

That is the same thoughts I have for my precious one(s).

No comments: