Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The fun of nothingness

You know, I am finding a lot of people today want their kids in so many things that they don't give them time to just be kids. Now, while those "things" aren't always bad, they can accumulate to the point where the child has no time at home or begins to have the need to be stimulated at all times. I have always desired for my children to have a childhood. A childhood that is relaxed and not always on the go. I guess you could say, the kind of childhood I had on the farm. They just don't have the farm like I did.

That being said, we are enjoying summer immensly without having to always GO somewhere or BE some place at a specific time. We have spent this entire summer planning very little and taking each day as it comes. It has been both refreshing and relaxing for us all. I think you can tell from the picture that they aren't lacking for fun times or silly excitement. :)

Today we had to go to school and work on a project and the kids had to stay all day. They were so good but you know what they were ready to do when we finished??? GO HOME and play. As soon as we got home they were in their rooms or outside playing and using their imaginations. My desire is for them to continue to improve in the imagination to help their abililty to think creatively. I was so excited to see an article on just what I am talking about in our paper today. It was refreshing to read and backed up everything I have felt since my children have been born. I am going to keep it and refer back to it from time to time.

I have LOVED my summer. I have loved getting to know my children in a different way. We have had so much fun and so many special moments. Those moments have not always been "Mommy directed", either. I have enjoyed watching them be themselves and figure out ways to play. I will continue to enjoy my sweet moments with them in the next couple of weeks. It will get wild again soon, but until then, I am content being a Mommy that hangs out at home with her children and allows them to be CHILDREN.

Speaking of those silly kids.... it is time for them to get ready for bed so we can have another fun day tomorrow. I love those silly things so much. I am thankful I can be their Mommy.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Today's photo is so cute and shows perfectly how much fun they're having just being kids. :)

Jennifer Stewart said...

I love that photo, Kellie :) And I agree with you about their schedules. The only thing we did regular this summer (and only for 5 weeks, 10 games) was baseball. We've enjoyed swimming, going to the library, movies, etc. on our OWN time. I love doing that. :)

You're a good Mommy!
Jennifer