Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Comfort Zone????

I was so NOT in my comfort zone last evening and today when I was going around taking pictures of INSECTS and other wildlife things so that I could enter a photograph in our state's wildlife magazine contest. Last evening I was taking a picture of a garden spider (I think) and trying not to get TOO close so the thing would come at me, while trying to get close enough that you would know what the thing was! As I kept inching in to my Mom and Dad's bushes to get a closer shot, I kept hoping and praying no other insect, arachnid or other creature would find its way on to ME. Well, as I was taking the last shot of this spider (which totally makes me cringe to do anyway...) I began noticing SOMETHING was crawling up my strap on my camera!!!! I immediately let out a yell and jumped back to find that it was a lovely June Bug. I hate those things. My brother and Dad got tickled and my Mom came out to see what all the commotion was. lol Let's just say my heart skipped a few beats at that moment. None of those spider pictures turned out, either, so that was a bummer with all the "work" I put into them. lol

Today, after having a fiasco of getting my pictures developed, the kids and I went to a local nature preserve so that I could, yet again, wander around and find neat and interesting things of which to take pictures. Well, I was out of my comfort zone once again. I am NOT an outside person on a normal basis. I am perfectly content to be inside and find things to do in there. I love being outdoors, but can't handle the insects and creatures. Well, here is "INSIDE GIRL" going into the outside world to take pictures of these insects and creatures I can't handle!! Was I insane???? I tried to put on a brave front for my kids and not spaz over every creature that moved, but there were some moments I was glad the kids weren't right beside me because I was doing a "dance" that would have caused bodily harm to one of them. (usually over something minor...or even a shadow or crease in my shirt that I kept glancing at time and time again just KNOWING it was a creature...)

I began to find some interesting spiders again. I took a picture of a Daddy Long Legs and hoped the whole time it wouldn't hop onto my lens. That would have been deadly...to the creature, my camera and me. I tried to find interesting things but felt that most of my stuff was just ordinary. I did manage to find some honeybees on some flowers and was really into them. Here is the picture of them. I also took pictures of fungus, other mushrooms, tree branches and stuff like that. Whether that is what the judges are looking for, who knows!!??? I guess I will just enter and go with it. My brother is encouraging me to enter more contests. I just still feel like I have a ton more to learn and who really wants to see my pics?? LOL

We had an awesome supper tonight. Steve had picked fresh string beans, squash and cucumbers from his garden and we also had some fresh corn on the cob we had bought at the Farmer's Market as well as grilled chicken. A stinking good supper if I do say so myself. Best of all....I cooked MOST OF IT!! Don't pass out...really. ;) It is amazing what you can do when you have time.

Speaking of time...I think it is now time for me to get a bowl of icecream and dump a load of chocolate stuff on it. Sounds like a plan. Y'all have a good one....and try not to let any creatures "get ya".....hee hee

2 comments:

Amy said...

Kellie, I am an "inside" girl too!!! Bugs, snakes, creepy crawly things...they all freak me out.

I wish we lived closer because I'd love to go on photo opportunity adventures with you, it would be so fun. Keep us informed on the photo contest, I bet you'll do great!

Amy said...

Btw, I bought these things called Kenko extension tubes for doing macro photography. They let you get much closer. I'm just learning how to use them.