Saturday, April 22, 2006

Rainy moment!

Here is some forsythia I had taken a picture of about a month ago. This is at a local park. Everything is beginning to stop blooming and become green. I have enjoyed watching that transformation closer this year. Usually I take it for granted and don't think about it much.

I haven't gotten on here to blog much lately. I haven't had the energy to be honest. It has been a busy week and by the time we get the kids in bed it was not far for me to be there, too.

On Thursday I went with my brother to see the play Mama Mia! It was great! We had seen it before but it was better this time because we knew more of what was going on. It is a play made from ABBA songs.....lets just say it was fun. :) I find the older I get the more I love songs from the 70's and 80's instead of today's music. LOL Major generational thing there.... I am planning on getting the best hits of James Taylor sometime soon. :)

On Friday we had a half day of school. Now, while it is great for the kids it makes for a busy day for me! I stayed later because I had to get ready for Monday....I am going on Wesley and Mikayla's field trip and had to get my substitute info. in order. I can't wait to go on this field trip and enjoy the day as a "Mommy." I must say, though, that it takes a mighty long time to get ready for someone to do the job you do everyday. That is the thing about teaching and why I don't take off unless there is a mighty good reason because it is more work to take off than to stay. My children are definitely worth it, though, so I don't mean to sound as if I am complaining.

After I finished up with the lesson plans and such, me and the kids went to visit Miss Pearl again. I can tell she is not the same as she was. Sitting with her this time I found her spark is missing and she can't remember some things in short term memory. Thankfully she remembers Wesley and Mikayla and they think she is still the same. Bless her heart....I really hope things continue to improve for her. It has been so good to see her again. Those times she was here are precious to my heart. I know they are precious to Wesley and Mikayla.

Getting now to the title of my post... Today we were beginning the day by cleaning up around here. I must admit that I was overwhelmed by the "tidal wave" of toys, books, boxes, etc... that are all over this house. I finally made Wesley and Mikayla do the bulk of cleaning on "their" side of the house because it was mostly THEIR mess!! Of course, it took me over an hour just to fold and put away clothes I had washed this past week. There are just not enough hours in the day during my weekends to get all of that accomplished. Anyway, I decided to run by the bank before it closed at 12:00 and then get my pictures I had uploaded yesterday to be printed. We picked those up and then headed to Walmart. Now, I knew it was supposed to rain and have thunderstorms today but we have been without rain for so long that I just wasn't putting the knowledge together in my head. We went in to Walmart and when we were walking in it didn't seem like it would rain anytime soon. I WAS WRONG. We weren't in there for very long but it began thundering...and we heard it in the Walmart! Usually when there is a storm you can't hear it as loudly inside a big building like that, but this time we did. I looked outside to see it POURING down rain. I had just talked to my Daddy right before we went in and told him we would come get him for lunch. I knew I only had a few minutes before needing to pick him up so I figured we'd make a run for it and be alright. Still wrong. We began running and got soaked pretty much immediately. I didn't realize that I had parked in China! We parked in an area which had a low spot before you go up to where our van was and it was flooding....and we had to go through it to get to the van... I held on to my package and the kids with all my might. I was so thankful for the toe grips on my Birkenstocks because we were having to go through about 5 inches of rushing water!!! Poor Mikayla was running beside me while I was holding her and one of her flip-flops flew off her feet and went down in the storm drain!

By this time Wesley and Mikayla both were crying and I was freaking out trying to get them to the van and get in the thing. Sometimes I hate those keyless entry things because they don't want to work as quickly as YOU want them to. LOL We finally jump in and are dripping/soaking wet. Poor Wesley thought we were having a flood and Mikayla is traumatized over her sweet orange flip-flop floating down the storm drain. I was as saddened as she was because they were her first pair. I was just thankful we were safe, though. I had to call Daddy and tell him we would be a little late because we had to go home to change. It was a rough drive home with lightning popping everywhere and rain standing on the roads. By the time we got home, dried off and changed the storm subsided some. It was a WILD time, that is for sure. I promised Mikayla I would buy her a new pair of flip-flops because it was my dumb idea to make a run for it. I'll think twice before I do that again. Of course, I wasn't the only one doing it. I think this weather caught everyone off guard because we have been withouth rain for so long. Still a stupid thing for me to do, though....

We ate lunch with Daddy and he went with us to Target and I bought Mikayla girl a new pair of flip-flops. She is so proud of them and tells me she loves them even more than her orange ones. Steve was able to leave work (he had to work half a day today) and meet us for lunch with Daddy. It was a nice time together. We came home after dropping Daddy back off at the Vet Clinic and the kids had to finish cleaning. I didn't clean "our side" of the house as much but we don't have all the toys that they do, either. lol

I am off to see what the kids are up to. They had gone outside to play for a bit since it was not raining now. Here's hoping for a less eventful rest of the weekend. :)

No comments: