Thursday, September 13, 2012

09/13/12

I have to share this funny moment I had with my son.

I am continuing to learn that parenting is as much of a learning journey as the growing up years are themselves.  We are all growing up!  haha.....

Last week Wesley was trying to get his Cross Country stuff together during the morning.....

When I asked him where his stuff was, I heard him go into the laundry room.  All of a sudden, I heard a crash.

I knew exactly what it was.

My dear Wesley had jerked his shorts off the rod we use to hang up our clothes to dry.  Instead of the shorts cooperating, the rod broke, fell down, and clothes on hangers went everywhere.

I knew this even though I was 2 rooms away. It is that Mom "sixth sense", you know.

I had to stifle a grin.

How could I get mad... even though I really could have done so?

I walk out to find him.  He is no where to be found, but clothing is all over the washer, dryer, cat litter box, floor, etc... 

I call out to him and find him in the garage.

He was trying to straighten out the broken and bent rod.

I looked at my growing son at that moment and saw my little boy.  I saw a little guy who was trying to make things right even though his "world had come crashing down around him."

I just smiled and said for him not to worry.  The Lord was just wanting us to get a new rod, that was all.  I did say he had a lot to clean up, but I walked away laughing to myself.

This is what parenting is about.

It is sharing the glorious moments and the mishaps in life that teach us valuable lessons.  I have grown up right along with my kiddos.  I am thankful for what I have learned in the process of teaching them.

If we can do it with a smile and with a bit of humor, it can make life much more bearable.

Especially when you are in Middle School......

4 comments:

Beth Rucci said...

Not sure I could have laughed and said that was God's way of telling you that you needed a new rod. You will have to teach me how not to explode in such a situation. I working on it but certainly not there.

truth in weakness said...

oh how i can relate! so many times i feel like i'm trying so hard to straighten out the broken & bent parts of my soul -- all the while the Lord is offering me a new rod of healing in Him. but He doesn't impose it; He gently beckons me to receive it. all i need to do is stop trying so hard, & simply trust.

thx so much for this, kellie!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Now if every mother would react with such sensible love and compassion our youth would be on the right path! What a beautiful example to him... an me! You glorified God in front of your son! Bless you!

SandyM said...

You handled that quite well, Mama! I remember in our last house being home one day & hearing a crash went into my walk in closet to find the rod pulled out of the wall & all my clothes in a heap.