Wednesday, September 05, 2012

09/05/12

We have been doing a lot with technology in our classrooms this year.

We have learned about different websites and things that I never knew existed.

Our white boards can now be turned into "smart boards" with something called a Hover Cam.  This device has been HUGE in the classroom for visual learners.  I can put whatever I am teaching or the paper we are discussing up on my white board and we can work problems just like the kids see on their papers or it helps visual learners grasp what is expected more easily.  Everything is enlarged so everyone can see it.  It allows me to let the kids work for their learning instead of me standing up in front sounding like the Charlie Brown teacher all of the time.  haha.

Powerpoint now has a little addition you can download to it called "Mouse Mischief" where you can use multiple mice in the classroom to play games or do learning activities with the kids.  I bought wireless mice and the kids can compete against each other.  Again, this is all projected up on to the white board.  My students are loving it!

Quizlet.com is another wonderful tool that we have been taught to use.  You can use this for anything for making flashcards and learning.  I use it for my kids to review before a test.  Wesley and Mikayla have used this for reviewing in their classes as well.  Anyone can use this! 

As you know, I have already been using lots of Powerpoints in my classroom (still not finished with those, either, by the way...).  I put my Phonics charts on Powerpoints and use it for games and review with the kids.  It is really shaking up the day and helping things not feel so monotonous.  (Not that I would ever want my room to be THAT. haha)

I still believe strongly that kids all need pen/paper exercises and running around outside like a chicken with their heads cut off to have a well-rounded education. :)  Kids still need to be kids without being glued to a computer/electronic device.

Balance is best.  :)

I am sure we will be introduced to more over time.  I am embracing this technology.  It has opened up my classroom in ways I never thought possible.

No comments: