Monday, January 07, 2013

01/07/13

I shared the biggie that the kids got for Christmas.

Let me share what I received from Sweet Man:

A Kindle Fire HD....




I am amazed at how much I love using a Kindle to read.  
I used to be totally against one.  I love the feel of a book in your hands and the ability to use an actual bookmark.  
Once again, I am learning that change is OK in this and that I can enjoy reading a book and carry it with me... along with other things to do on the Kindle.

I have already read several books, and have downloaded others that are just waiting for me to tap their pages.  I have downloaded several Bible study books, one set on the Fruit of the Spirit, and others on Psalms and understanding God's Ways.  I am really enjoying the Fruit of the Spirit ones right now along with my daily devotions.

I have downloaded many Apps.  
I love the free ones, but I have also broken down and ordered a few that were inexpensive.  
I have gotten Our Daily Bread and love it.... we used to have that at church but then changed to a different one.  I was excited to be able to enjoy that each day.
I have chosen to find game Apps that will make my brain think.  I still don't want to be vegging out with electronics, you know.

Words with Friends is one I downloaded so I could play it with Mikayla.  
I am not doing so very well with this game... in fact, I have no clue as to what I am doing.  I realize this is basically the game of Scrabble.  I have never been good with words... and especially not so since I have taught 2nd grade now for 18 years.  You begin to lose some of your vocabulary when you speak in simple language to help kids understand.  haha!  I'll keep trying, but if anyone out there has any suggestions to help me play this game, I am open.



One of my MOST FAVORITES is the word search.  I have this on my phone, too, and love trying to beat my time.  I have always loved word searches anyway, so having one at my fingertips anytime is quite nice.


I found this one last week.... and became addicted.  It is called Cubistry and is actually a logic game.  You have to match up cubes that are alike and do it in a certain amount of time.  There are other levels to the game but I am still all about figuring them out quickly and beating my time.  I got below 5 minutes this past weekend.... I was stoked.  haha!



One I have been introduced to by a wonderful friend (who I blame for another addiction) is Flow.  It is yet another one that makes you think "outside of the box" and get these dots to match up.  You can't always use the straight path to the dot!!  You have to figure it out in as little of moves as you can.  The higher up you go in levels the MORE DIFFICULT they become. 


So there you have it... I have to work on balance myself.  If I could I would play Cubistry many times during the day but that can't be and work/live/do home stuff.  

I must say... I am thankful for the ability to know what is going on in the technology world so that I can have a handle on what our kids are doing.  They need someone who can guard them from seeing or doing things that are inappropriate.  
It is very important for parents to be aware of and know how to handle these new gadgets.  Kids must have boundaries and if there is no knowledge in something to give a boundary, that is where we fail our children.  

BE PROACTIVE in technology as a parent.  
Your children will be better for it.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I'm a words with friends addict, so if you are ever looking for a new playmate, let me know. :)