Friday, January 25, 2013

01/25/13

Here is our "Golden Chariot", affectionately known as "The GC".  I wrote about her here on her 10th birthday in 2010. 
Let me explain why she is the topic of my blog today.  Sit back and relax with your favorite drink as this may be a long post today/tonight... whenever you are reading this.

I have been content with her.  I have been thankful for her.  She knows me and I know her quite well.  I tell Steve to drive her nicely when he is speeding down the road on her.  My friends tell me I am a "Granny Driver."

We knew she was getting to the point where certain things were not working correctly.

  • She has lost her ability to tell the correct temperature outside.  Not a biggy, but it is quite comical when you are having a 101 degree high humidity day here in NC and she reads "63 degrees"... The kiddos and I have had lots of laughs with that.
  • She has had to get serviced with some engine problems.  Nothing that should shock us as we know that happens in all vehicles, but it is still disheartening at times.
  • Her headlights are just not quite bright.  In fact, they are downright dim... and we have gotten new headlight covers for her thinking that was the problem.  Not so much.  Even on bright I don't think I could blind anyone.
  • Her electric slide door can get stuck sometimes.  
  • And more recently.... her gas tank indicator likes to play tricks on us.  You can fill her up and within a hundred miles or so, you can be at a stop sign/light or just driving down the road and she can go from FULL to EMPTY.... and you HEAR the needle plunging.  Thankfully, it is just the indicator has problems but until I decided to start using the Trip Button each time I filled up (thanks to a friend suggesting to do so....) I was uncertain as to whether or not I was able to believe what I saw!!

That being said, Steve and I have talked in the last couple of years about what I would want if we ever got around to replacing her.  Some other things were more priority to get paid off so we just waited.

I wasn't concerned... I was content.

The kids, however, ESPECIALLY MY DAUGHTER, began calling her the "Granny Chariot."  She didn't like her.... not one bit.

::::rolling my eyes here::::

Fast forward to the last week.

We realized it was now time to move from thinking to really considering what to do about another vehicle.

In our early years, Steve and I would go buy something big a lot of times without really praying about it.  We would jump into it and then "ask God to bless what we had done."

I have learned so much from the Lord and trusting HIM in all things in recent years that when Steve mentioned now is the time to start looking, I just started praying.

I prayed first that God would show us what to do.  He knows our budget.

We began looking on autotrader.com to get some ideas of what was out there.  I wanted another van because I feel comfortable in them and they have lots of room.  After having room I can't go back to cramped.  I also knew I couldn't handle one of those Suburban type SUV's because I would take off half the house trying to get her in the garage or take a few cars from a parking lot if trying to park her.  I've just had TOO MANY instances, people....

Unfortunately, what we were finding were that all of the ones we could afford were very high mileage. 

In the middle of it all I kept praying.  Steve kept praying. 

I kept putting it back to the Lord and obeying  HIS timing.  I began to read a book called Waiting on God and it is so good... still working my way through it but it was what I had needed.

Steve and I kept looking online for possible ones to go see.  He had called about one that had high mileage but was in excellent condition.... the Lord closed the door on it.  It just wasn't right.

On Monday night he and I had a "snuggle date" while perusing more choices.  I wrote down a few and he was going to go check them out on Tuesday.

Tuesday was a crazy day for him at work.  He couldn't go see any of them.

I still prayed.  He still prayed.  I wanted to be patient.

On Wednesday, Steve went to visit those that we wrote down.  During his whole time of checking out those we thought were huge possibilities, they all turned out to be dirty and not taken care of.  We realized that it was going to be a long shot to find what we needed, but still we trusted. 

He called me to tell me the four we had hoped would work out were "junk."  He said he was just going to ride around in a local autopark to see what he could find.  He had one more to check out that he had seen online.

As he got to the dealership, he saw the one we wanted to check out... and it was already being handed over to the new owners.

He was so disappointed. 

As he was driving out of that area, he drove by another dealership in that autopark and saw a van like we had been looking for on their back lot.  He decided he would go in and ask about it.

When he walked in the dealership he saw NO salesmen.  In fact, his whole day of looking he only encountered one earlier in the day and just for a short time.  I realize it was cold outside, but usually those who sell cars are waiting and ready.

He decided to use the restroom and then see who he could find.  When he walked back into the main area, there was one man there and he walked up to him.  This man was a salesman and he said he would be glad to help Steve.  When Steve asked him about the van in the back, the salesman had no idea what he was talking about.  Steve had to go show him!!

Come to find out, this van had JUST been traded in 2 days prior.  It was not even listed in the computer system yet.  It was not online.

When Steve began to talk with the salesman about the van, he found out it only has 46,000 and some change miles on it.... and it is a 2006.  It had been bought by two grandparents who were just using it to take around their grandchildren when they had them.  When these older people traded it in, they said their ages were 77.  It was in immaculate condition on the inside and out.  It looked brand new!!!  The salesman told Steve that there were NONE like this out there... this was a "cream puff."  haha!  The mechanic even came out and shared all he knew about the motor on this van and he told Steve it was in perfect condition.  He said if he needed another vehicle he would have already snatched it up! 

Steve was in shock!!!  He told the salesman that he and I had been praying for the Lord to lead us to the right van.  The salesman was in shock over that, too!  He said.... "I think your prayer is answered!"  Come to find out... this salesman is a believer in Christ, too.  

Steve test drove it and loved it. 

He called me but the kids and I were helping with a ministry at the time and I didn't have my phone.  When I called him back he was like.... "You gotta get here... you aren't going to believe this!" 

I drove immediately to the dealership and found Steve.  I have never seen Steve so eager about a vehicle in my life.  He is usually the one with the stone face and tough demeanor when we have bought a vehicle before.  In fact, he has told me in the past not to get too giddy over something because he wanted to keep it cool in front of the salesman.  lol

The Steve I saw as I drove up was NOT that same Steve.  :)

The salesman met me and allowed me to test drive the van.  He even let us go as a family alone to drive around and see what we thought as a family. 

I fell in love with it.  It just felt RIGHT.

When we got back into the dealership, Steve made a counter offer on the already lower price than what they were listing the van.  He became a bit nervous and I just looked at him and said... "God has gotten us this far... He has it taken care of..."

And I was correct, because the salesman came back with our offer accepted.  There was no counter-offer of "meet in the middle."

It was in our budget!

It was the easiest major purchase of a vehicle that we have EVER had.

We finished signing the papers last night.  I got to drive her home.  Wanna see her?

Meet....  GLORY.  
(with ice on her from our wintry day here...)


Why, "Glory" you ask?

Because God's handiwork was all over this purchase.  Could you not see how He guided our steps throughout the whole "story?"  What other name would be fitting than "Glory" because we give GLORY to GOD for what He has done for us. 

I kept remembering that this year my word(s) for the year were "Magnify the Lord".... and this is a huge way to do so.  What a way to glorify Him but praising Him for how He worked in this situation for us.  We truly give Him ALL of the glory for this!!!!

None of this happened by chance.  There are too many "coincidences" that are just God-appointed times.  I can't praise Him enough!!

Oh, and, if you are wondering about the "GC".. don't.  She is still with us.  Steve has decided to drive her to work to help with saving gas.  No one would love the "GC" like we do, anyway.  She is still precious.  :)


6 comments:

benbidder said...

Yay, a new vehicle is always fun! :) We had a lot to look at when we first moved here, to find something with low miles is hard!! This is perfect!

Anonymous said...

What a story, Praise the Lord !
Welcome to the family "Glory " she's a purty thang . Hee = Hee.
Love - Love

Unknown said...

I just needed to read your blog today. I had lost the link and had searched off and on for a while.
I contacted Casey today to get the link to your blog.
What a coincidence.
My husband died last Dec 28th - I have been thinking about trading my car for an automatic. I don't drive vrey far and need to depend on friends - most don't like to drive a stick.
Yesterday I choose not to trade my car and to take a cruise instead. My car will be OK and friends will either drive it, or their own cars.
The cruise is on a favorite sihp and will go on their new Asian journey - I will be on the ship for the 1st anniversary of Pete's death, for Christmas & New Year's. Perfect for me.
If you listen God will guide.

Amy said...

Glory's a beauty! Congratulations on your newest family member. :)

Unknown said...

I did not intend to publish as unknown - I need to add an identity to my Google Account - always learning.

Gretchen said...

What a fantastic story! I love how your family relied on His provision and then saw the ... well, glory!