Saturday, June 22, 2013

06/22/13

I honestly did not mean to have a week between these posts!  I have been crazy around here doing summer fun things with friends and the kiddos.  :)

SO... let's get back to those past 20 years of "me and Steve" shall we?


I can't believe how young we were.  I looked like a baby.


I don't believe I have ever told this story on my blog before.  I have told several people in person and it usually gets people giggling.... even laughing hysterically.

It is our honeymoon story.

Now, before you think I am going to go TMI on you... DON'T.

Just sit back, read, and laugh, er, uh... ENJOY.

When Steve and I were planning on what to do for our honeymoon, I knew it was no need in us going anywhere far away from home because I knew I would be having issues with that.

People used to say I couldn't get too far from the silos at the farm....

Anyway, we decided to just go to the beach.  Emerald Isle, NC to be exact.

My aunt had a condo there so we asked her if it was OK for us to use it.  She was fine with that.

We were fine with it, too, because we had no money.

I was extremely money conscious then.   

(Not that I am not today...but then I was... well.. ) 

I even borrowed my wedding dress.  (Regret #1 that I never even tried on dresses!!!)




Fast forward... we are hitched and heading to the beach.  We were going to stay there from our Saturday night till the following Sunday/week.


It took us 4 1/2 hours to get to the beach, which normally just takes 3 hours, because Sweet Man thought he knew a better way.  (He just didn't realize then that he was living with Rand McNally.)

After finally making it to the beach, and already being exhausted from the wedding/driving for a thousand hours... it was time to unpack the car.

We also brought a cooler with food in it that had to be hauled up to the condo... to cook... on our honeymoon.

Tight wad would be more descriptive of me.

Our time there had many comical moments on top of what I have shared already.

However, remember how I was really cost conscious??

We never went anywhere. 

Not even putt-putt.

Not even FORT MACON.

And only went out to eat ONE night during our stay.

We just stayed by the pool or beach.  When it rained one day we stayed in and watched TV.

We lived the exciting newlywed/honeymoon life.

On Wednesday, Sweet Man decided he would be fine without any sunscreen while sitting by the pool.  After all, it was May and the sun couldn't be THAT bad.

He fell asleep on his stomach.

He fried.... looked like a lobster, actually.

He was in pain.

He hardly slept the entire night he was in so much pain.

Thursday morning, he says to me:  "You are homesick and I am fried... let's just go home!"

Yes, I was homesick... the only time I had been away from home for a long period like this was my Senior trip in high school and I was miserable then, too.

WHY was I homesick you might ask?  After all, I was with the love of my life.  I had just gotten married.

I don't know WHAT was wrong with me, people.  I honestly do not know.

This was before cell phones, you know, so imagine the surprise of my Mom when we show up at the door on THURSDAY afternoon....from our HONEYMOON.... not the week later SUNDAY afternoon.

We stayed with them until Sunday because we didn't want anyone to know we came home early from our honeymoon.

WOULD YOU WANT ANYONE TO KNOW THAT?  Seriously!

When we left that weekend to go to our house... a couple of miles away.... my Mom and I cried and held on to each other as if we would never see each other again.  You would have thought I was moving across the country.

Poor Steve... he didn't quite know what to do with me those first few weeks.

Shoot... I wasn't quite sure what to do with ME those first few weeks.

It surely does make for an interesting story, but THIS is why we celebrated 20 years in the way we did this year.  When we took our trip to St. Lucia we had the honeymoon we never had.

More on that to come soon...

Are you still laughing?

Yeah, I thought so.

No comments: