Saturday, June 29, 2013

06/29/13

St. Lucia - Day 3

Steve saw that the tours included a Segway tour and said we just had to do one of those.

I was all about making sure he got to do something he enjoyed so I consented.

Remember, I was trying to LIVE now and not regret that I never did anything exciting and new.

And I will never regret that day... it was awesome.

Here we are getting our cute little bike helmets on for safety.

Our tour guide took pics of us all around this area... I have a ton of them.  It was funny how he kept telling us to move to different spots on the decking.
Here is our guide - Lloyd.  He was a HOOT.  We had the best time with him!

We had to learn how to ride the Segways first.  That took some balancing, but once you get the hang of it, it is so cool!  

We left the area of practicing and went up the side of the mountain.  Let's just say riding the Segway was much easier than walking up that area!

One of our first stops was to overlook Rodney Bay... just beautiful.  That is Pigeon Island straight ahead in the photo.  You'll hear more about that later.

This is Noni fruit.  

I was ecstatic to see it!

Why, you ask?

I am a teacher and I have talked about this with my students.  I am sure the other people who were in our tour thought I was nuts photographing this fruit like it was a movie star.  Our tour guide was also laughing that I got so "into" seeing this fruit in person.  If I remember correctly, you do not want to eat this fruit... it is only used for medicinal purposes.

The mountain had bunkers and other areas built by the army in 1941.  I didn't realize that St. Lucia played a part in WWII!  It was really neat seeing that part of their history as well.


We are some wild things on those Segways.....

"Look, Ma, NO hands!"

Another Army bunker area.... the date 7/5/41 was carved into the cement on the bottom right of the picture.  The closeup of that is right below.



I can't remember the actual name of this area, but it was breath-taking!  I could not get enough of it.
I was shocked to see cactus growing there, but apparently they grow in many different areas of North America.  (Learned that from Kev...)

Yet another view from that high point.

It was so neat for me (again, being a teacher who teaches this stuff!) to walk on hardened lava.  St. Lucia was created by a volcano.
We were able to enjoy some different local fruits on our "rest stop" on the tour.  (Like we really needed to rest with riding the Segways.. lol)

Here Lloyd is cutting up an orange that was actually yellow.  We also enjoyed fresh bananas, mangoes, and coconut water.  The coconut water was like water, but not... hard to describe the taste.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something I would want all of the time.  The bananas were so sweet.  The mangoes were my favorite.
Yep... that's me eating a mango!  We were told there were between 60-100 varieties of mangoes that grow on St. Lucia alone.  When a mango falls off the tree and hits you on the head, you are supposed to keep it and eat it.  haha
!

Steve loved the Segways... he really wanted to take his home with him.

Lloyd was doing all kinds of crazy things on his Segway.  He had the BEST personality.  Steve actually caught this shot.... I was proud of him!

Here I am looking as touristy as possible...
Down at the beach at Rodney Bay.  We got to ride our Segways on the beach, but I did not find it as relaxing.  haah!

After our tour we came back and enjoyed our virgin pina coladas and lunch by the beach.

(I actually had a virgin strawberry daiquiris here but it wasn't my fave)
This is what I had for lunch pretty much every day.... hummus and pita bread.  It was yummy.
Then, we hung out by the pool and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading my books.
Our view from supper that night.... Kelly's Dockside.... nice name for a restaurant, huh?
More virgin pina coladas... Hey, if you can get them for "free", enjoy as many as you can, right?!
I had the Mahi-Mahi and it was SO good.
Steve had the steak.. said it was the best he had ever had.
Me and Sweet Man after we ate.
Our dessert that night... Oh. Goodness.
Now you see it.....
Now you don't!
Happy to be with Sweet Man.  :)

No comments: