Monday, April 15, 2013

04/15/13

Last week I was able to have a heart to heart with one of my children.

Being 13 brings out some interesting things, you know, and as a parent I want to keep on top of things.

I was told "The Bible can be boring."

Hmmmm....

OY....

Well....

Ooookaaaayyyyyy....

So how did I respond to that, you might ask?

Carefully, and without judgment.

As you may have read from Christmastime, both of the kids were given Samsung Tablets to help with school and such.

These tablets are wonderful tools.

They can also be huge distractions.

How to balance it all is the real dilemma.



Comparing the Tablet to the Bible - yeah, the Bible can appear boring.

The Tablet has games, bright colors, fun apps, etc....

The Bible has words.  Sometimes these words can be hard to understand.


God never intended His Word to be flashy, fast-paced, and full of games.

He wanted us to be still before Him and soak in Who He is.




Unfortunately, that does not happen by someone forcing you to read it.


I could have gone on and on about how God's Word should never be looked upon as boring.  It is something you must do daily.  It is to bring joy!  I could have forced this child to read certain portions.  I could have droned on... and on.... and on....

But, I didn't.  

I just showed this child that God has so much in store for this child that He wants to reveal.   When God's Word is looked upon as boring, then it will always be boring.  When it is viewed as a new experience each time it is opened, then it will begin to lose its "boringness" and become exciting.

I asked this special one if a prayer to God was given before each time of reading so the Lord could show great and mighty things.  The answer was "No.".... but I already knew that.  It took me into my adult years to understand that, so I know at 13 it isn't a concept that is thought about daily!

I realized I needed to find a way to help these teen years we are beginning in a way I had never had to before.  The devotions needed to be different... yet the same.  Gone are the days where we can do our little devotions at night with Bible lessons.  We are needing the same of God's Word and His truth, but more on what they are needing NOW.

I ordered these from here for the both of them:

I am excited about getting them in the mail each month.  They are easy to read, yet deal with typical issues of what they will be experiencing now in their lives.

The Bible can never compare to a Tablet... or anything else in this world. 

It is so much more.  

It is my job as a parent to be understanding, yet ask the Lord for wisdom to show them the beauty of HIS Word.  The more they get into His Word, the more they will know it is a book they don't want to put down.

1 comment:

Shelly Pleasants said...

Thank you!!!