Monday, December 31, 2012

12/31/12

It is the end of 2012.

It is time for some reflection.  I always enjoy looking at the past year and recall what I have learned and what I continue to learn.  There should always be some sort of growth in a year.  I thought I would share a bit of what I have been thinking on in the last few days.

In 2012 I have learned....

  • I can't change other people's hearts... only the Lord can do so.
  • that no matter how many times I give advice or try to help someone, I cannot make them take or do it.
  • burnout can happen and it isn't pretty.
  • it takes a long time to recover from burnout.
  • it is painful to watch your child go through something and there is nothing you can do yourself to change it.  
  • it is OK not to do a blog every day.  I found that I was putting forth a lot of time for no one to read or comment.  It has been freeing to be able to post whenever I want...
  • I became busier than I thought I would have when we hit Middle School.
  • Pinterest is an addiction that I have to use wisely. lol
  • I can tolerate my house not being deep cleaned from August until December.  Oh, wait... I really can't, I just had to learn to overlook it.
  • Electronics and technology are here to stay.... more on that later.
  • I still love my Rainbow vacuum cleaner.
  • I am not an abstract painter. 
  • it is OK not to teach the same way I did for 17 years prior.  
    • What a FREEDOM I have had by changing things up this year and teaching in a way my heart has desired for a long time but was afraid to do so because it might not be "right."  The kids are less stressed and so am I... and we are having a super time together while doing it.


In 2012 I continue to learn....

  • that true faith in the Lord requires a daily putting away of myself and  constantly believing in God.
  • it is a comfort to know that the Lord guides our steps.  When I have no understanding of what to do, that is when the Lord can do the greatest moving and work in my life.
  • that just because someone thinks of something differently than you does not mean they are wrong and you are right.  
  • we all have differences and we should rejoice in them.
  • I have different gifts than others.  I can't compare myself to someone else, but see it as not my gift.
  • I have the ability to use my talents to bless others.  There is an unspeakable joy when I can do something for someone that they didn't think could happen.
  • kindness goes a lot farther in life.
  • change is OK.  Change is good.  Change is a part of life.
  • it is OK for us to LIVE in this house.... and it doesn't have to be perfect.
  • it is also OK for people to come in and see your house looking not-so-perfect.  They find out you are human, too.
  • teaching is an "evolving" profession.  If I don't move with the times I am going to be set out by the curb!


In 2013 I want to ....

  • learn more about my Lord.
  • find out more about others needs.
  • lose some of this weight that has decided it likes me since I turned 40.
  • keep exercising and improving my health.
  • continue building my faith in the Lord.
  • keep finding new ways to teach my students and help them love to learn without getting burnt out myself in the process.  :)


2012 was not the best of years, but also not the worst of years. 

It was a year that was LIVED and for that I am blessed.

2013 will more than likely be the same. 

If you stop and think about it, EVERY year has its highs and lows.  It is how you look at your circumstances which makes it to be "successful" or not.  There have been some rough moments throughout this year for me, but I can honestly say God has been with me every step of the way and has guided my steps and those of my family.  Nothing happens by chance... even those things we do not understand.  I am thankful that I know Who is holding me at every moment of my life.

Do you know Who holds you?  Don't put your faith in the new year in horoscopes, resolutions, or wishes/dreams.  My desire for you is that you know the One Who can give you freedom and peace ALL year no matter what happens:    
Jesus Christ - the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Much Love to you all......


I wish you all a wonderful and happy New Year. 

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Happy New Year to you too Kellie! I love your reflections on the past and goals for the new year. I share a few of your learning points from 2012 and am so happy that the Lord has such love for us all.