Monday, December 24, 2012

12/24/12




The Christmas tree holds special memories for me.  I love the lights, the ornaments, and the presence of its beauty in our home during the month of December.  I can remember as a child staying in the living room or den, wherever Mom and Dad put it that year, and staring at the lights.

As I have gotten older, the tree holds different meaning.  It is now part of my past, present, and future.  Past because of ornaments and memories from long ago, present because of the ornaments bought and memories made this year, future for the memories I pray the Lord will allow to come in more years.

Whenever I teach Christmas to my students or kids at church, I always like to share with them how the Christmas tree is very special.  I talk to them about how the Christmas tree is just a symbol for the real Christmas tree... the cross.  I drew these out on Microsoft Paint today to show you how I demonstrate it to the kids. 

Here is a Christmas tree as we think of it....  I draw it out on the board like this:


I then take another marker and show this:
The first, real "Christmas" tree was actually the cross where Jesus gave His life for you and me.  Without Christmas there would be no cross.  Without the cross there would be no hope for us... no gift of eternal life to save us from our sins.

This past weekend I read a booklet that I was given by a student.  It is called Trees and the Christmas Story by Dr. Stephen Davey.  It was wonderful and it affirmed some things I have taught to my students/kids in years prior, but also taught me a few things as well.  I just had to share these with you on this Christmas Eve.

I have always loved the story The Tale of the Three Trees.  If you have never read it, or heard of it, please feel free to click on the link of the story name and it will take you there.   It is a story of how three trees desire to become something great when they get older, but their plans and God's plans were different.  God's plan was better.

In reading this booklet this past weekend, it brought new meaning to that story for me.  There are three important trees mentioned in God's Word.

The first tree is found in Genesis - the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  This was where man had a choice to obey God and failed. 

Because of that failure, God had to send His Son to die on a tree, the cross, the real reason for the Christmas tree.  This tree was needed for God had to send His perfect Son to take on human flesh to become one of us so we could know Him.  Then, He had to die on that cross for my sins and your sins... that tree

Lastly, there is the Tree of Life.... the tree that stands in heaven.  Adam and Eve were banished from the garden after eating of the first tree because God did not want them eating of the Tree of Life and live in their sin-cursed bodies forever.  Once those who have accepted the gift of salvation from the second tree get to heaven, there will be no banishment from this Tree of Life.  We will be free of sin and there will be no more curse.  This tree will bear twelve different kinds of fruit every month, all year long.  (Revelation 21 and 22)

The book summarizes all of my thoughts from reading so beautifully so I want to share what Dr. Stephen Davey wrote here:

There was a tree in Eden that exposed man's pride.  
There was a tree on Calvary that exposed God's pardon.
The tree in Eden caused separation from God, but the tree on Golgatha brought reconciliation with God.
So, when you see a Christmas tree during this season, remember all three trees of the gospel story:

  • The first exhibits prohibition and pride;
  • the second embodies pardon and peace;
  • the third exemplifies the grace of God, the glory of heaven, and the gain of eternal paradise.

Of these trees we've noted together, one tree stands above all others.... without it, the Tree of Prohibition (Garden of Eden) would be an everlasting regret and the Tree of Paradise (Tree of Life in heaven) an unreachable haven.

But the Tree of Pardon (the cross) has turned regret into redemption and a haven into our eternal home.

The cross of Christ.... what glory!
  • The base of the cross stretched downward, as if to say that God has descended to earth;
  • the top of the cross stretched upward, as it to say that there is a way to heaven's shore;
  • the arms of the cross stretched outward, as if to say that whosoever will may come!
~ Dr. Stephen Davey

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I love The Tale of Three Trees. One of the sweetest gifts I received last year was a figure depicting "The Three Trees." Beautiful post!