Friday, April 03, 2020

The Quarantine Crush

....no, I am not talking about a new game app that everyone is playing....

I have kind of been feeling "crushed" in this quarantine as of late. In talking to friends/family or seeing so many responses of people through social media, I know I am not the only one feeling this way. 

As I have prayed over how I have felt, and searched the Scriptures during my moments of feeling crushed, the Lord has reminded me of some truths that I would now like to share with you all. 

The Lord actually showed me this truth using grapes!


In John 15 you will find the familiar passage of Jesus speaking of Himself as the True Vine. He used that word-picture because so many people in that day would understand the work that is put into growing grapes and in their harvesting. As the Lord began to help me uncover my spirit of feeling crushed, He revealed to me some applications from that passage:

The end result of every usable grape is to be crushed - whether by eating them or using the liquid for drink. (Ever thought about that!?)

As grapes are attached to the vine, they are fed through the roots from the nutrients in the soil. These nutrients travel up the vine and into the fruit where, over time, the fruit ripens and is ready to be harvested. This growing process is not overnight. What does happen, though, is that the growing process allows them to become more sweet and ready to be picked.

Once the harvested grape has been crushed, one taste can quickly tell whether the grape was on the vine long enough to obtain the sweetness that is desired. 

Sometimes when grapes are crushed, a bitter or sour flavor explodes. This causes regret that the grape was ever eaten or used as drink as it obviously was not ready! 

But if the grape has been attached to the vine long enough, and true maturing has happened, there is a sweetness that bursts forth as the crushing occurs.


Believe me, I know we are all human and are going to have "moments" and feelings when "crushing" occur, but the Lord has taken these thoughts and opened my heart and mind to understand which grape I need to be like when crushed!

I could be like the unripe grape - not attached to the True Vine (Jesus) and become hardened and bitter because I am not getting the correct spiritual nutrients from His Word. When something or someone "crushed" me, such as how I am feeling in this quarantine, what can explode out of me is worry, unthankfulness, anxiousness, bitter words, harshness, pride, anger, self-pity, and, well - anything of a negative nature!

But if I am attached to the True Vine and taking in His spiritual nutrients from the soil of His Word, then when I am "crushed" I will burst forth with the sweetness of the Spirit inside. I will reveal the love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, kindness, and self-control that is so needed every day - but especially when we are "crushed."

I don't know about you, but the Lord has made me realize how much I want to be the grape that explodes with the beautiful "flavor" of the Spirit. The ONLY way we will be able to do that is to stay close to the Vine.

John 15:4-5
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

No comments: