Sunday, October 12, 2014

FAIR TIME!




It's that time of year again!

Fair Time for the Fowler's! 

We had our annual bake-off this weekend and we made lots of memories!  We are now officially exhausted, too.  :)

Here is what we did:

Kellie:  
Photography

Baking:
Blue Cheese Straws
Banana Nut Bread
Cupcakes (Hershey Chocolate with Caramel Icing)
Oatmeal Raisin drop cookies

Wesley:
Old fashioned chocolate fudge (yes, we are nuts for choosing that one)
Honey Muffins (Honey food category)
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Honey (Honey food category)

Mikayla:
Bittersweet Chocolate Brownies
Blueberry Muffins
Pecan Spice Layer Cake with Caramel Frosting

 

I have "blown up" this blog with pictures.  Enjoy our antics!


Working on my blue cheese straws.





 Me and my sweet Mikayla




Of course I dragged my brother Kevin down here... I needed help!

Mikayla getting ready to make her Pecan Spice Cake.

She put the flour on our noses. lol

Yes, I photographed the sifter.  This IS ME you are talking about.....

Kevin guiding Mikayla in the process of sifting dry ingredients together.  Kind of hard for a left-hander to hold a right-handed sifter sometimes.

Mikayla got to grate the nutmeg for her cake.


Oh, goodness... the cake batter was SO YUMMY.

Now I am mashing bananas for my banana bread.  Such the pro.


Along comes Wes.... there are not many "normal" looking pictures of him on here this time.  Of course, THIS IS NORMAL for him.  Have NO idea where he gets this from....

Working on his Whole Wheat Banana bread with honey

My banana bread and oatmeal raisin cookies cooling....  YUMMO.

Is that candy thermometer right!???

Day 2 of working with the blue cheese straws.  I had the privilege of using my rolling pin and rolling out the dough!  Kevin's sternum was thankful we didn't use a cookie press this year!


The recipe called for poppy seeds on the blue cheese straws.... I had cut them in little strips before I baked them.

This is my son.  Working on his fudge.  Goofball.

Mikayla was melting her chocolate for her Bittersweet Brownies.

Waiting on the fudge.... with a toothpick in his mouth.....

Mimi was such a blessing.... helped keep all of us straight!  haha!  

Making my caramel frosting.  I ate too much.  Yes, I admit.  I almost got sick I ate so much of the stinking good stuff.

But look at these pretty Hershey Chocolate cupcakes with the Caramel Icing!!!!

We taste-tested A LOT....


Trying to avoid licking our fingers..... heehee


Wesley is getting ready to make his honey muffins....and his sister is being the goof again now.

But he gets back into it quickly...

He made an executive decision to add more honey to his recipe.  Proud of him for thinking through and choosing to do that.  :)

My blue cheese straws. YUM.

Mikayla with her brownies as they were cooling.

The honey muffins looked scrumptious!  Wesley tested them.... with a toothpick to make sure they were done... and then by eating one.  haha!



Mikayla did a great job frosting her Pecan Spice Cake.

Wesley making his fudge... AGAIN.  The first batch we overcooked.  :(  Perseverance was our keyword for him!

Mikayla making her blueberry muffins.

Now she is modeling her cut brownies and half of her Pecan Spice Cake.

And here are all of the entries on the table ready to go.

I ingested too many calories this weekend so I will eat carrots and celery the rest of the week.  haha.  Truly... I love these times with my family.  I love how we learned much just by being together.  It doesn't matter if we win or not... and if we do that is like "icing on the cake!"  I know I have already won because I am so thankful for the family God has given me. 

Taste-testing will be at school with me...... heehee.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So fun! Glad you all had a wonderful time together :) Can't wait to see everything.