Thursday, February 20, 2014

02/20/14

Here are some images of the snow we had this past week.  We have had an interesting winter here in NC.  I look back and see that we have been unusually wet and gray weather-wise through a lot of the past year.   Below the pictures you can read some of my musings as of late.



















I have been learning from the Lord in years past that I am to appreciate each season that He gives for what He sends.  This applies to my actual seasons in NC.  I normally do not worry so much about gray, cold days.  I always look forward to spring, but I also try to capture and appreciate the winter season, too.

This year has been a bit different.  I think it is because we have been so cloudy/gloomy/rainy/wet for the last year.  Many times I have heard people reference that they didn't realize we were "living" in "Seattle, Washington."

I have felt a bit trapped inside as of late.  This is coming from an "inside person" so that is odd for me to say.  This season of cold/gloomy/rainy is beginning to wear on me and I am feeling the need for something more.  This past weekend I began to share with the Lord how I was feeling.  I was feeling irritable, sluggish, withdrawn.  I asked the Lord to show me what He was trying to teach me.

He soon revealed to me - I was craving the sun.

I have never put much stock in how much we need sunshine.  Yes, I talk about it with my students that there is great benefit from being out in it.  We gain Vitamin D from it, as well as warmth.  It has not been until recent weeks that I have understood more of my need for SUNshine.

This week at school I have been as excited as the children to get out and feel the sun on my skin.  I realize winter is not over, but these few days of the sun and a bit higher temperatures have given me some "pep in my step."  In fact, as I type right now I am sitting on our deck soaking in that sunshine.

As I continued to pray over what the Lord was showing me through this, He made another connection for me.  A connection that applies to my spiritual well-being.

When we go through hard seasons of life - death of a loved one, sickness, financial struggles, etc... sometimes we feel it is never-ending just as I have felt about the gloomy weather this past year.

It is in those thoughts that the Lord revealed to me my craving during those times is for the SON.  I need Jesus Christ to help me through it. I crave time with Him and when I do not get it, or choose to not come to Him to learn, I am indeed deficient.

How do we get SONshine?

We read His Word.

We soak in His truths.

We sing praises to His name even though we do not fully understand.

With the Lord, He is my light. He is my SONshine.  He is what gives me the spiritual vitamins I need to survive the season with which I am living.  The "winter" will pass and spring - new life - will come.

Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Revelation 22:5
And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

If you are feeling a bit like me and are living in the southern areas of our nation, take this opportunity to go sit out in the sun.  It truly does the body good.  (If you are in a US state right now where you can't because you continue having the gloomy/snowy/rainy weather, just cling to the fact that spring IS coming.)


If your mood/feelings are because of the hard personal season you are facing, look to the SON and allow Him to fill you with His light, His strength, His love, His grace, His mercy.

I want to soak up the SON.

 Off to bask in HIS glorious Word....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post and I love you to you sweet thang.

wendy said...

The lack of sun was a huge adjustment when I moved out here. Sometimes I feel like I've never adjusted. Sunny days definitely make me feel better. Especially after months of rain and gray skies.

Sandy said...

After experiencing the same thing starting in early Oct. that I experienced last year (that a huge battery of blood tests could not diagnose), I got on the web & found an accurate diagnosis: Affective Seasonal Disorder. It is "caused" by diminishing sunlight, lack of Vit. D. Although I have been taking huge doses of Vit. D, using a blue light, & a change in antidepressant medication, it has lingered to the present. It is much better since I got the meds regulated, but I still require 9-10 hours sleep at night. Most days I am not exhausted all day as I was before the change, but I have a day about once a week where I'm not good for much. No sadness, just extreme fatigue. Yesterday I sat in the sun outside for about an hour; today I was out for 2 hours. And I can already tell a difference! I am more ready for spring than ever! From March to late September I am outside nearly every day, so I guess my body got used to lots of sunshine...