Saturday, August 17, 2013

08/17/13

I have yet to share with you some of the things we did around the house this summer.  These were not large-scale changes as I was in front of the computer most of the time, but changes that have made me quite tickled.

In 1996, when we were building this house, brass/gold knobs were the "thing."  Well, not so much anymore in my house.  We have changed many things around and the gold is looking out of place.  These knobs are in our kitchen and both bathrooms.  I have pictured our cabinet knobs below:


I also had this plate stand that I "inherited" when I cleaned out a room at school and it was no longer needed/ wanted.  I thought it had character and it has been good for some time, but the color was blah and needed some help.


I began looking around for new knobs.  

NEW KNOBS ARE EXPENSIVE.  

We had over 20 in the kitchen alone and I knew I would be breaking the bank over knobs.  I was also finding the pulls were not  matching up with the ones we had now.  Either the holes were closer together or farther apart.

What is a girl to do?

She does what she has learned from her friend, Gretchen.... she gets out the spray paint!

Here are the knobs and plate stand ready for the spray paint to begin.....


While I was getting Steve to help me spray paint (he was also helping me with a project I was doing at school), I decided we would spray paint one of Mikayla's old lamps.  It was adorable when she was two... now, at 13, not so much.  I had looked all over for a new lamp but didn't find one with the same height and shape for the area she needed it.  Then we began looking for a new lampshade but couldn't find one, either. 

Spray paint became the answer.....



So after the spray paint, we have our "new" lamp.....


.... and we have our "new" knobs.... (in kitchen AND bathrooms!)


While this may not be huge for some of you, it was for us and it only cost us the spray paint.  I could not believe the difference it has made in our kitchen and bathrooms.  To me, it makes my kitchen more country/farm feeling than before.  That has always been my desire.

There are some other things I did in the kitchen that I will show you next time.  More things to bring out the "old" into "new."  (You'll have to see the plate stand in those pics as I forgot to take a picture of it afterwards... haha)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Isn't it amazing what some spray paint can do?! I did this a couple of years ago for our bedroom furniture because there were SO many pulls, & they turned out great. And love the "new" lamp!

wendy said...

Looks great! I don't have any pulls or knobs in my kitchen, but I've thought about spray painting all the interior door knobs. I've yet to do that, however. I guess I should finish my bathroom project first and then I think I'm going to tackle the ugly rock wall behind the fireplace. White rock. . . gray walls. . . I can't wait. I also want to paint the front door, and put up beadboard in the dining room, and . . .