Sunday, February 23, 2014

02/23/14

Death's door has opened a lot this past week....enough so that I have felt surrounded by it.



A dear friend's son died suddenly at the age of 18.

Another friend's father passed away mid-week.

Another friend's mother passed away Thursday morning

My uncle (my mom's only brother) died on Thursday evening.  

On Saturday, my pastor's mother died.


 
The two that affected me the most, the 18 year old and my uncle, were sudden and so unexpected that they caused me to pause.

Death is part of life.  We all know that.  When it hits home closely it makes one realize the brevity of life - especially when it is  so sudden.

I took time to be still before the Lord and just ask Him to speak His words to me through the weekend.

What I came away with was nothing but peace and joy through the tears I shed.

The young man's memorial service was a blessing in more ways than one.  His mother showed much of the Lord's grace as she ministered to others as they were trying to minister to her and the family.  His service was a celebration of the full life he lived in his 18 years.

My uncle's service was similar.  It brought a joy and peace to celebrate a life of love, selflessness, and devotion to his family.  The Lord's grace was all over my aunt, mom, and other aunt, his twin, as they said "until we meet again."

There was peace in the midst of sadness.

There was joy in the midst of sorrow.

For those who know the Lord as Savior, death is not the end.  As I was reminded this weekend... death is the beginning.  It is the open door to eternity.

I meditated on this Scripture more in the last few days than I think I ever have:


I Corinthians 15:55-57 
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 
 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


After watching the Lord work through these deaths this past week, I can truly say that there is no sting in death.  The Lord took the sting of death on the cross and allows us to have victory in times such as these.

He is faithful.

He gives us what we need when we need it.

There is a "peace that passes all understanding" and I have experienced it this weekend.

Our friend and her husband have been such a testimony of looking to the Lord this week through the personal tragedy of losing their son.  They have a hope that it is not goodbye.  He is alive and well in Heaven and they now have a new reason to long for home.

My Aunt showed courage and hope today when her husband of 54 years was laid to rest.  She knows he is in Heaven dancing with their two children that passed away before him.  My aunt knows she is just passing through this world and looks forward to the day she can join them all for eternity with the Savior.

For what the Lord has shown me this weekend through death, I am thankful and my life is richer for it.


These two songs blessed me so much today when I was walking at the end of the day after my uncle's service.  When we turn to the Lord and follow His ways, He will cause the world's sorrow and trouble to grow dim because we will see only HIM.  I encourage you to take the time to watch them both.


This one is short, but beautiful.



No comments: