Tuesday, February 05, 2013

02/05/13

This portion of Scripture has been brought back to my mind time and again in the last few weeks since I read it in my devotions:

James 2:14-16
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works?  can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

These verses have become a "chewing" process for me to know exactly what the Lord is wanting to reveal in me and work in my life.  I have felt the Lord's leading in doing something for others, but wasn't quite sure where He was taking me.

In the last few weeks I have noticed a friend posting on Facebook about how she and a few others have been going downtown to minister to the homeless people.  The Lord continued to draw me to her posts and cause me to inquire about what they do to help.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I volunteered to go help the homeless after school one day.  I wanted to take Wesley and Mikayla with me to give them a glimpse of what other people face and to realize just how blessed we are.

The first time we went, I am not sure as to what I was expecting.  I saw many different homeless people.  Many looked like they were homeless, while others did not.  I felt as if I was almost standing back watching a movie unfold before my eyes.  I helped, but yet felt like I was overwhelmed by the visions of neediness coming our way, that I seemed dumbfounded.

I passed out hand warmers.  The kids passed out snacks/crackers.  We had hotdogs/corndogs for the people to eat.  There were also donated clothing and other items that the people could choose from to have.  We knew it was going to be very cold in the next few days and we wanted to provide what we could to help.

I saw many people desperate for anything to wear to keep them warm.

I observed ones who were slow in coming but were wanting to eat and so they gave in to their pride and walked over.

I walked with one of my friends over to a woman who lives in her van.  It was stuffed with all of her worldly belongings. 

I heard many say "God bless you for doing this." and "Thank you."

There were those that were out on the streets because of their unstable mental state and there was no place for them to go.

There were those who I was told were addicted to drugs/alcohol.

I saw a couple of people who received their hotdogs and, after eating and using the condiments, threw the trash on the ground.  I will admit.... I had a hard time with that.


As I left that day, I got in my own car and went to my own home. 

My warm home. 

My mind was quite puzzled for a few days after the visit.  I wasn't sure WHAT the Lord was showing me because I didn't feel that I had the overwhelming experience that others had shared on being thankful for what they had.

I even talked about it with a friend at school.  Was it that the Lord knew I was big into thankfulness already so that wasn't what I was called there for?

Throughout that week I kept reading different things in my devotions that led me to understand a little more about what God wanted me to learn.  Here is another verse He gave me:

Matthew 7:1-3
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Hmmm.... are you following me?  Are you seeing what the Lord is teaching me?

It is not my place to judge these people as to why they do or don't do something.  It is my place to help them and show the love of Jesus to them whether I see any fruit from it or not.

I have since learned that some of those people we saw on the first visit actually had jobs... they just didn't have the money to have a place to stay.  They were trying, but life was tough.

This past week we went back with our friends to help the homeless.  We went to a different part of downtown this time and saw different people. 

As they walked up to us getting coffee, snacks, packaged meats, etc... I began to look past the outward appearance and see what was behind them.

What did I see?

I saw people.... JUST. LIKE. ME.

One guy, who had been in the armed services, was now living on the streets and trying to get off of drugs/alcohol.  His image has stayed with me all week.  I have prayed for that man.

If we are honest with ourselves, we are no different from that man.  We all have our own addictions.

Sure, they may not be drugs and alcohol, but there is always something that Satan uses to draw us away from what is right.... to draw us away from the Lord.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about my experiences, yet I am still chewing on them.  I feel that God is saying.... "Stop saying you are a Christian and only deal with the "safe" people.  What good is it if you walk around telling people to trust in Christ yet you never get out there to help provide the physical aspects of what people need as well.  In providing the physical aspect, you will have the opportunity to be a light for ME in a dark world."

We are to be the hands and feet of Jesus... showing His love to ALL. 

Jesus spent most of His time with the "rejects" of the world.  I know the Lord is showing me more of how to show His compassion to others that are out of my comfort zone.  

I am excited for what the Lord is helping me see.  I know I can pray for those people at any time, but I want to have the courage to share the love of Christ with them and help them to see that with Him they can spiritually never hunger or thirst again.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

What a great reminder! Thank you, sweet friend!