Sunday, August 31, 2014

Lessons from the Lord... on the Playground

One would never think that running around on a playground would bring enlightenment of life lessons from the Lord.  

This past Friday, it did.


Friday was our "Fitness Fun Day" at school.  We normally try to do a fitness activity with the kids that involves the kids differently than spending time on the playground at our normal play times.

Knowing that some children in the age I teach (second grade) have not conquered some of the things on the playground, I decided to get them on equipment without them realizing it... meaning, make it so it was an "adventure" and not an "order."

Little did I realize what the Lord was about to remind/teach ME.

As I was preparing the children for what we were going to do, I knew I had to do it first to show them the way or they would never "get" what I was meaning.  We were going to use our imaginations big time.  We were going to "climb a mountain, swim through the rivers, climb another rock formation into the jungle, swing from the vines of the jungle, and run across a desert until we reached home."

We first began at the mountain... or rock-climbing wall.  This piece of equipment "looks" like a volcano and is about 8 feet off the ground.  I started up the harder side of rock climbing... some of the kids did not like that.  They wanted to climb up the ladder.  I told them that the mountain did not have ladders and we'd have to climb.

I climbed up and got on top of the "mountain"... all the while chuckling that my poor children had to watch me swing myself up over the ledge at the top.  Bless their hearts....

When I started to go down on the other side, I will admit to you all that there was a bit of "fear and trepidation" as I was going down that part of the rock wall backwards... not sure of where my footing was going.

After I succeeded in my climb up and down, I encouraged the children to, one-by-one, go up the same way I did and then come down.  What I began to see took me off guard.

I had some, who I thought would be afraid, start climbing and coming down without a problem.  I was excited!  I stood back and cheered them on.

Then, one of my precious ones showed me a valuable lesson from the Lord.

He struggled even climbing up the first side because it was "too hard", he said.  He kept saying he just couldn't do it.  Knowing that I had to help him, I walked closer and began to encourage him more.  (The other kids even encouraged him, which warmed my heart!)  I tried to help him place his feet on each part of the climbing holds.  He didn't like that so I had to think of another way.

I then chose to climb the rock wall again,  meet him at the top... and pull him up.  Whether I was under him or above him pulling him up, I didn't realize just how hard it would be to help this little guy climb knowing that I was there for him and to trust me.

After helping him over the edge, I thought he would be elated!  I jumped down off the top of the volcano and continued my cheering.  Instead of joy on his face, there was more fear because he now didn't know how to get down.

As I was standing below him, encouraging him, he crumpled down at the top and said he just couldn't do it.  It was too hard.  He wanted to get down the easy way... the ladder.

In my love for him, I knew that the ladder was not the answer.  The easy way is not the best way.

It was in that moment, I saw myself in that little guy.  I saw myself climbing the mountains of life, having the Lord there encouraging me and pulling me up. He had been through life on this earth... He understood.   I saw myself getting there at the top... the highest point... and wanting to stay... not willing to go through anymore trials.  Telling the Lord that it is just too hard and I want to go the easy way.

And the Lord always says... I will never leave you or forsake you, I am underneath you with everlasting arms, I go before you and stand behind you.  I am with you.

It was in that moment, I knew what I had to do.  I had to climb back up again.  I had to show this little guy that I was with him just like God is with us in every part of life.  I climbed back up, encouraged him more and kept telling him that God was with him and so was I.

It still took some coaxing, but he began to stand up.  He hesitatingly put one foot over the edge, drew it back, then brought it back out again.

He was learning faith.

As he brought out his feet to climb down, I knew the fear he was feeling as I had just faced it a bit myself.  I had been there and was willing to help him down, to catch him if he fell.

With one foot, then the other, he came down.

He succeeded!

If I had let him go down the ladder, the easy way, he would have never learned the value of doing something hard.  He would have never had the gift of joy in accomplishing something hard with the help of someone who loves him.

We then went through the river (running/swimming through bars and swings on the playground),
climbed another wall,
went through the vines of the jungle (may I just make a statement here.... I have a new appreciation for those kiddos that do the monkey bars day in and day out....),
and ran across the desert to the other side.

All the while I did it with them.

Helped them through tough moments where they couldn't quite get it.

.... And learned so much in just 45 minutes on a playground.

I learned that God gave me a picture of what He does for us every day.  

He had me holding those children in love.  

He had me encouraging them.  

He had me telling them to try again... even if it is hard.  

Just like He does for me every day.

Just like He has done for my school this week after our tragic news of last weekend.

All because He loves us.


It is a picture I have not gotten out of my head all weekend, and I hope I will never look at a playground again in the same way.  I pray it will always give me encouragement on the days I don't feel I can go on or it is too hard.

I pray that my sweet students (my "chil'ren) will have a picture of Christ as well.

I pray that they will understand the love I had for them by going before them, holding them, encouraging them, and never leaving them on the playground is a small taste of what the Lord has for us in life.

The picture the Lord gave me on the playground reminded me of these verses from Isaiah 43:1-3:

But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel,
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched,
Nor will the flame burn you.
“For I am the Lord your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

No comments: